Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 7 – Sept 5


Today’s message is from the soft side – it is called “The Dance”

Riding motorcycle can be compared to dancing.  The rider is the lead dancer and the motorcycle is the partner.  To start with, both parties must suit up and fuel up for this will not be a short dance.  The appropriate shoes (or tires in one case) are required for the dance to be performed.  Once properly prepared, the rider must swing his leg over his partner and tightly squeeze the partner between his legs.  Next the rider must put his hands and feet on the controls provided by the partner – for this is the only means the rider has to tell the partner how to move during the dance.  Once the music has started, in the case the road begins, the rider and partner must become one to be successful at this dance.  The music is often very different depending on where the dance takes place.  Sometimes the music is very predictable and carries the same rhythm for a long time, such as when riding the freeway.  The more interesting dance happens when the roads are ever changing as when riding in the Ozarks.  Here the music is constantly changing tempo, rhythm, and the beat.  Up, down, right, left.  You never now what the music will bring you next.  The road may provide some suggestions about what is to come such as road signs, but the rider must be prepared for everything because sometimes there are unexpected curves. The rider and partner must but be perfectly coordinated to stay in rhythm with the music. Sometimes the music likes to through in a few surprises as well; it may be some rocks on the road or even a dead critter such as a skunk or armadillo (I have seen enough this trip to know!) Again, the rider and partner need to be prepared to change their dance moves to whatever the music brings.  Falling during this dance can be a real disaster.  The rider and partner are not pushing themselves to their edge but pushing enough to have a very spirited dance.  When rider and partner are in perfect harmony, there is nothing prettier, more satisfying, and more fulfilling than along dance with the partner of your dreams! 

For other news today, I left camp early today and adjusted my route slightly so I could make it Branson MO. today.  I was hoping to see a show but I wasn’t sure the timing was going to work out; fortunately, it has.  I have tickets for the Statler Brother Review.  For those unfamiliar with the Statler Brother, they were a famous county group made up of 4 guys that did amazing harmonies.  This is not the original group but rather a group that performs their songs.  I will provide a review of the show in tomorrow’s update.

As soon as I arrived in town, I found a state park (Table Rock State Park) and set up my tent and took a nice cold shower.  It was cooler today, only 97 for a high, but a shower was definitely in order.

Other than having a great dance with my partner today, one interesting event was that part of the route required that I take a ferry to get across a lake to continue with the road on the other side.  It added a unique experience for the day.

One other interesting note is how small and young the deer are here.  Every fawn I saw today still had spots on them!  I saw one along the road (it was no longer moving – if you get the point) and it couldn’t have been move then 18” tall.  I mentioned it to one person and he wasn’t sure why they were born so late this year.  Strange.

Tomorrow I will continue my route through Missouri.






No comments:

Post a Comment