Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 13 – Sept 11


Today started with a great little road (see photo 1) on my way to the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum.  The museum was very interesting even though I didn’t know a lot about many of the bikes or even hear of their names before.  At one time there were many different motorcycle manufactures; everyone thought they could build a better motorcycle.  By walking through the museum you really could see the progression and change over time.  Many started by just adding motors to a simple bicycle.  Initially motorcycles were seen as a cheap method of transportation.  However, as time progressed, people wanted more power, more speed, more comfort, and more safety.  This desire for more continues today as motorcycles become more and more complex.  I have attached only a few of the photos I took.  With over 600 vehicles on display, it was even hard to decide which ones to take pictures of.

As I mentioned before the museum is part of a larger complex.  There is a race track there as well and you can take driving classes using Porsche cars.  I attached a photo of that as well.  Overall it was very interesting.  I am sure some people could spend all day there.  I spent about 3 hours and then decided to continue onward.

Onward in this case was to northern Alabama.  I have a few loops that go between Alabama and Tennessee I rode as well.  I am spending the night Woodville Alabama.  Again finding a camp site was a little frustrating but I did locate this place before it got dark.

Tomorrow I am a going to ride Cherohala Skyway (43 miles National Scenic Byway) and the Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles).  I rode both of these roads back during my 2009 trip.  They just “happen” to be on my home on this trip as well. Oh darn!













No comments:

Post a Comment