Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 12 – Sept 10


Today started like last night ended, with a walk on the sandy beach.  The ferry was not scheduled to depart until 8:00 so after I had my camp site packed up; I headed to the beach for 1 more walk in the sand.  I figured this would be my last opportunity on this trip.

By 7:45 I was in line to catch the ferry.  It turned out to be a very short line – only 3 vehicles were on the ferry this morning, including me.  The ride across the gulf was a little rough so I stood beside the motorcycle to make sure it didn’t tip over due to the waves.  We reached the other side safely and I was on my way to further explore the gulf coast.  I continued east across Alabama and into Florida.  That makes the 49 states part of the mission complete! 

Before leaving Florida, I decided to have some fresh seafood.  I stopped at a place and had popcorn shrimp and Cat Fish; it was Ok but nothing great.  Oh well.  Just past noon, I made a left turn and started heading north on the return leg of my journey.  About 1 hour later I was out of Florida and back in Alabama.  This is the 3rd time on this trip I have now ridden in Alabama; all in different parts of the state.  The first time was on the Natchez Trace in the northwest corner of the state.  The second time was along the Gulf of Mexico.  This time I am heading north towards Birmingham.

I made it to near Birmingham tonight which was my target.  However, finding a campground proved very difficult so I ended up staying in a hotel this evening.  The places that were advertised as “campgrounds” were really “RV Parks” and wanted nothing to do with a “real camper” like me. 

The first thing on the agenda for tomorrow is to see the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. According to its website, “The collection now has over 1,200 vintage and modern motorcycles and as well as a substantial collection of Lotus and other racecars. It is considered the largest collection of its type in North American and possibly the world.”  The museum was started by George Barber who is from Birmingham and he raced Porsches in the 1960’s.  The museum is part of the Barber Motorsports Park which includes a racetrack that is used for many different events.

After seeing the museum, I am going to head north to Tennessee. Depending on how long I spend at the museum will determine how far I make it!

Weather continues to be great!










No comments:

Post a Comment