Saturday, September 8, 2012

Day 10 – Sept 8


When I got up this morning, the sky was cloudy (it rained overnight), a bit breezy, and cool (about 72 when I hit the road).  I am not complaining!  It felt good to ride in cool weather today.  It never got above 81 degrees.

While riding the remainder of the Natchez Trace today, it reminded me how similar it is to Historic Route 66 that I rode earlier in the trip:
·         Both routes changed America:  The Trace opened trade and communication with what was then the Wild West.  Route 66 made transportation easy from the now Midwest (Chicago) to the West Coast (California).
·         Both routes had stores and suppliers set up along the route to provide services to weary travelers.
·         Cultures along the route changed and blended as travelers of various geographic, religion, and educational backgrounds began to meld together.
·         Both routes became obsolete:  The Trace was no longer needed when steam engines and other modes of transportation became available.  Route 66 became obsolete when the interstate system was implemented.
·         Both routes continue to be remembered as important parts of history that should not be forgotten; for we would not be what we are today if we did have this in our past.

After completing the Trace I continued to Louisiana.  Here I had to do some crop identification.  I took a few pictures of cotton fields which I had never seen before.  Then there was another crop that I had not seen and could not identify.  I have now confirmed what I finally figured out—sugar cane!

The other part I will remember Louisiana for is its rough roads!  It even has Minnesota beat – I thought I might lose a kidney.  Oklahoma City is a close second based on my experience on this trip.

I am staying at a KOA outside Baton Rouge tonight.  It is laundry night – oh what fun!

Tomorrow I make my way to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.  Hopefully the roads improve!









No comments:

Post a Comment